The engineers of RTIR & PC deputed at JPMC are an integral part of the research centre and work in coordination with NED University of Engineering & Technology, Karachi. Their key responsibility is to identify the major defects related to the geometry, condition and other parameters of the road which are responsible for causing accidents. The engineers after identifying the major accident causes and remedial measures of individual black spots coordinate with the relevant stake holders to rectify the problem. Road Safety Audits are also carried out for which a “Road Safety Audit Form” has been developed covering all the required parameters needed to get the maximum geometry and features of the road.
The engineering cell at present is involved in other centre functions of the research centre apart from its own because of the low budget and lacks in its performance and output due to the non availability of funds necessary for carrying out the safety interventions and safety measures. It is desired to widen the scope for generating better output of the research centre.
- Identifying the black spots through trauma data
- Informing and rectifying various issues to the concerned sectors via letters
- Keeping a record of the important developments, complaints and policies in the city related to traffic and transportation
- Scrutinizing the daily fatal report and drawing remedial measures about what has to be done to minimize the peril
- Preparing reports on black spots with complete description of the problem that lies there and the considered low cost safety measures that should be adopted
- Carrying out road safety audits and measuring the opinions of people on site then depicting the interventions
- Dealing with the stake holders and urging them to work on the remedial measures and low cost safety interventions devised
- Organizing internal and external meetings for generating effective output from the employees
- Notifying the small troublesome issues effecting the traffic sector of the city to government sources such as complaint cell at CDGK
- Preparing the annual injury report
- Documenting research papers
- Highlighting the repetitive issues of the accidents